Click here for the full Proclamation as a printable pdf.
WHEREAS, beginning in December 2019, a novel coronavirus, now designated SARS-CoV2 which causes the disease COVID-19, has spread through the world and has now been declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organization; and
WHEREAS, symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, coughing, and shortness of breath. In some cases, the virus has caused death; and
WHEREAS, extraordinary measures must be taken to contain COVID-19 and prevent its spread throughout the Town and community, including asking the residents and community guests from clustering and if needed additionally, potentially requiring individuals, groups of individuals, or property to undergo additional measures that prevent or control the spread of disease; and
WHEREAS, the new Futon Convention Center, and Fulton Navigation Park will be closed to public gathering.
WHEREAS, declaring a state of disaster will facilitate and expedite the deployment of resources to enhance preparedness and response from State Agency (DSHS, TDEM); and
WHEREAS, as of today, March 24, 2019 the Town of Fulton and surrounding communities have ZERO confirmation from the Texas Department of Emergency Management that we have resident with COVID-1; and
WHEREAS, the local restaurants are closed for dine-in, and bars are closed by order of the Governor of Texas; and
WHEREAS, the Mayor of the Town of Fulton, Texas has determined that extraordinary precautions must be taken to protect residents, visitors and businesses of the spread of COVID-19; and
WHEREAS, the Mayor is authorized as the representative of the local governing body to declare a local disaster pursuant to Texas Government Code, Section 418.108;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT PROCLAIMED BY THE MAYOR OF THE TOWN OF FULTON, TEXAS:
- That a local state of disaster for the public health emergency is declared for the Town of Fulton, Texas
- That the Town of Fulton Emergency Management Plan has been implemented.
- That this state of disaster shall continue until April 14, 2020, unless the same is continued by consent of the Town Council Fulton, Texas.
- That this proclamation shall take effect immediately from and after its issuance.
- Section 418.173 Punishment of Offense: may prescribe a punishment for the offense but may not prescribed a fine that exceeds $1000 or confinement in jail for a term that exceeds 180 days.
ISSUED on the 24th day of March, 2020 at 10:30 a.m.
Jimmy Kendrick, Mayor
City Secretary Town of Fulton